How to Configure Parental Controls on a Verizon Router
Enable an administrator to restrict access to specific hosts from specific machines.
This procedure is intended for use with Verizon’s Actiontec Routers and was tested with firmware version 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.4
1. Using a web browser, connect and authenticate to the router.
Result: The router’s main web page appears.
2. Click the Parental Control icon from the top bar.
Result: The Parental Control page appears.
3. Under Step 1, from the left listbox select all the machines which will be blocked. Control or Command click for multiple selections. Click Add.
Result: All of the selected machines appear in right listbox.
4. Ensure Block the following Websites and Embedded Keywords within a Website radio button is selected. Under Embedded keywords within a Website, enter the hostname to block. Click Add.
Result: The hostname moves to the right listbox.
5. Next create a schedule. To block 24/7: check Monday through Sunday; Select the Rule will be active at the scheduled time. radio; The start and stop times should be identical.
6. Enter a Rule Name and Description. The neither should contain special characters. Click Apply.
Result: A confirmation page appears.
7. At the confirmation page, click apply.
Result: The rule goes into affect.
8. Verify rule is in affect. Key in non-secure http host name into browser.
Result: A blocked message from the Verizon router.
9. Key in secure https host name into browser.
Result: The browser hangs.
Here, attempts to connect via ping, ftp, and whois. All attempts fail.
$ ping ask.fm PING ask.fm (184.108.40.206) 56(84) bytes of data. ^C --- ask.fm ping statistics --- 5 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 3999ms $ ping 220.127.116.11 PING 18.104.22.168 (22.214.171.124) 56(84) bytes of data. ^C --- 126.96.36.199 ping statistics --- 3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 1999ms $ ftp ask.fm Trying 188.8.131.52... ftp: connect to address 184.108.40.206Connection timed out Trying 220.127.116.11... ftp: connect to address 18.104.22.168Connection timed out Trying 22.214.171.124... ftp: connect to address 126.96.36.199Connection timed out Trying 188.8.131.52... ftp: connect to address 184.108.40.206Connection timed out Trying 220.127.116.11... ^C $ whois ask.fm [Querying www.dot.fm] ^C
Some things still work:
$ nslookup ask.fm Server: 192.168.1.4 Address: 192.168.1.4#53 Non-authoritative answer: Name: ask.fm Address: 18.104.22.168 Name: ask.fm Address: 22.214.171.124 Name: ask.fm Address: 126.96.36.199 Name: ask.fm Address: 188.8.131.52 Name: ask.fm Address: 184.108.40.206 Name: ask.fm Address: 220.127.116.11 Name: ask.fm Address: 18.104.22.168 Name: ask.fm Address: 22.214.171.124
David Gregory Medina
Post created by: David Gregory Medina