[HOWTO] Write a NAS4FREE Image file (.img) to USB flash drive for upgrade
This is right from NAS4Free’s site. A gem.
This tutorial is meant for the Windows user who wants to install NAS4Free embedded/LiveUSB to USB stick / CF card.
Before we start, we will need the following utilities :
– A bootable USB stick or CF Card (Note some old USB sticks may not be bootable)
– A utility that can extract .gz file (such as 7-zip http://www.7-zip.org/download.html )
– Win32 Disk Imager to write the uncompressed image file to USB sticks/CF card to create bootable USB sticks ( Download the binary version (e.g. win32diskimager-binary-<version.zip ) from https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ )
1. Download the LiveUSB image file (.img) https://sourceforge.net/projects/nas4free/files/
Write image file to USB stick
2. Insert a USB stick. Check the Drive Letter of the USB stick from Windows Explorer.
3. Launch Win32 Disk Imager
– Click on the blue ‘Open’icon to select the extracted disk image
– Select the correct Drive Letter from ‘Device’ drop down menu
– Click on ‘Write’ button to write the image to the USB stick
4. That’s it ! You now have a bootable NAS4Free on USB stick.
David Gregory Medina
Post created by: David Gregory Medina